NBC News: “Maj. Gen. William J. Walker, commanding general of the District of Columbia National Guard, will tell Congress on Wednesday that it took more than three hours to get the greenlight from the acting secretary of defense to deploy troops to the Capitol after the Capitol Police chief made the urgent request on the afternoon of Jan. 6. ‘At 1:49 p.m. I received a frantic call from then chief of U.S. Capitol Police, Steven Sund, where he informed me that the security perimeter at the Capitol had been breached by hostile rioters,’ Walker says in his prepared remarks. ‘Chief Sund, his voice cracking with emotion, indicated there was a dire emergency on Capitol Hill and requested the immediate assistance of as many guardsmen as I could muster.'”
“Walker said he alerted the Army’s senior leadership of Sund’s request immediately after the phone call with the police chief. ‘The approval for Chief Sund’s request would eventually come from the acting secretary of defense and be relayed to me by Army senior leaders at 5:08 p.m. – 3 hours and 19 minutes later,’ he said.”