Women responding to a CBS News/YouGov survey conducted Friday and Saturday after the US Supreme Court overturned Roe v Wade disapproved of the decision by a margin of 67 to 33 percent, the overall sample disapproved 59 to 41 percent. Good on CBS and YouGov for not fucking offering the bullshit “don’t know” option for that question. As exhausting as “voter enthusiasm” is to hear about after years of “boat parades” allegedly being a valid metric, that 55% of respondents who said they voted for Biden in 2020 indicating the decision would make them more likely to vote in the Midterms is probably still worth mentioning. Twenty percent of Trump voters said the same.
The party ID crosstab on the same question found 28% of Independents said the decision makes them more likely to vote in the Midterms to 10% less. Indies overall disapproved of the Roe v Wade overturn decision 62 to 38 percent. In a year where the GOP are counting on disaffected middle voters who might otherwise be receptive to the MAGA party’s “messaging” of “GAS PRICES INFLATION GAS PRICES HUNTER BIDEN GAS PRICES” that’s probably not a good sign for them.
And should anyone think the only slightly dented confidence espoused by anonymously quoted Republicans in Politico tug job pieces, saying things like “Maybe instead of losing 45 seats, [House Democrats] lose 30,” will hold, remember this is before four months of horrific stories about women dying otherwise entirely preventable deaths from ectopic pregnancies and the like begin to sink into the public consciousness on the issue, especially with women voters.
Even a dipshit like Susan Collins already publicly realizes she’s going to have blood on her hands, while the leader of her party is yet again reported to be “shitting all over his greatest accomplishment. When you speak to him, it’s the response of someone fearing the backlash and fearing the politics of what happens when conservatives actually get what they want.”